Computer numerical control routers are CNC machines every business should have in their workshop/hardware manufacturing factory. These machines are perfect for engraving products that require high accuracy and precision. Even many marking system enthusiasts believe they can operate on the same level as marking machines, such as laser marking machines.
While they are unique, CNC routers come with different features which aid their functions. Therefore, choosing the right CNC machines can be a challenge. To make selection easier, we will introduce our top 10 CNC engraving machines in 2023, which you can seamlessly incorporate into your business and how they relate to the common marking machines you know.
Our Top 10 CNC Engraving Machines
The Computer Numerical Control machines that made this list were selected based on price, efficiency, software upgradability, compactness, stability, durability, and marking quality. However, this does not mean that each one contains all the features. Instead, the list comprises machines that are a trade-off between certain factors.
Therefore, we can say that the ranking does not strictly indicate the overall best CNC router machines in the market. Instead, it shows the top 10 CNC routers in 2023 and how they compare to different marking systems used today
To many engineers familiar with CNC engraving machines and us, the CNC Piranha XL is a state-of-the-art creation of the Next Wave Automation and one of the best industry-grade CNC cutting machines and CNC routers.
It offers a 304.8 x 609.6 mm work area with a milling depth of 101.6 mm, making it the perfect CNC engraving machine if you have a large working space. Therefore, it is a common machine used in marking building products and agricultural and heavy machinery.
Unlike some CNC routers, other important features of the CNC Piranha XL include auto-edge and rational sensing technology. This allows the machine to locate the workpiece and identify its size automatically.
Furthermore, the machine also detects the starting point of the job automatically. However, unlike the laser marking machines such as Fiber laser marking machines, this CNC router slightly pales in comparison in terms of precision. Nevertheless, it is better in terms of engraving depths.
CNC Piranha XL’s software is also one of the best among the CNC routers and machines on this list, as it comes with the Windows-only design software called the Carve Desktop V8 design. Users can directly send the completed designs to the CNC router via USB with the software. However, the Windows-only module reduces its usability.
The CNC Piranha XL price is higher as it costs around $2499 on Amazon instead of other marking machines. However, if you are looking for features such as automation and quality towards wood milling jobs, you should go for this CNC router.
- Professional CNC marking machine
- Works on multiple surfaces, including wood, plastics, and soft metals
- Has automated features that make marking extremely easy and smooth
- It comes with Windows-only software, which limits its usability
- The price tag is a bit on the higher side
- Automation limits complete control
Another very popular CNC machine is the JFT 3040 3-Axis machine. It would be wrong to call it the absolute best CNC router. However, the JFT 3040 3-Axis machine with its sturdy metallic frame is one of the best CNC routers in the market. This results from balancing quality and price without a loss in industrial performance.
One of the key features of the CNC cutter is that it is water-cooled. Therefore, you can use it for longer operations without superheating. Moreover, the hardened Aluminum gantry and ball-screw provide great strength and stability to the design.
Another amazing feature of the desktop CNC machine is that it accommodated different software, such as the CopperCAM and the ArtCAM software. Therefore, unlike other CNC routers, users are not limited to using a single software.
The CNC router also includes two-phase stepper motors. These stepper motors provide the torque (.59NM) required for the operation. In addition, the spindle can reach speeds up to 24000 RPM.
Thus, the amazing combination of power and speed makes this CNC router a really powerful tool for the industry. Also, it has a considerable work area of 558 mm x 350 mm. Amazingly, this industrial-grade machine is available for under $3000.
- Provides great power and speed
- The firm body of the CNC router enables to engrave metals
- The CNC router’s Water-cooled features allow it to be suitable for longer operation
- The CNC router can operate with a variety of different software
- It has Stepper motors
- Needs monitoring during operation
When talking about power and versatility, you cannot miss out on MillRight’s CNC router. This CNC router has a fully metallic body which gives it great stability and strength during milling operations. This is similar to dot peening machines known for their stability and marking capabilities.
The MillRight CNC router is mounted with ball screws on an axle pair. Thus, the machine and the product quality have extra stability. Plus, a bearing shaft works with a high-torque stepper motor to move the router around.
Since the machine is highly stable and durable, it affords engraving into metals, including steel. Therefore, it is not wrong to consider it one of the best CNC routers in the industrial space. Although, compared to the laser marking machines and some dot peening markers, it pales in comparison.
The CNC Router kit comprises homing switches. In addition, there is an emergency stop switch for extra protection required during the milling function. The software for the CNC router is Fusion 360. To get the machine at your place of liking, you will have to discuss the modalities with MillRight’s via their website.
- High-quality engraving
- The CNC router has a sturdy frame
- Contains emergency stop switch
- The CNC router has a limited software option
The Carbide 3D Shapeoko is one of the best industrial-grade CNC routers available in the market. The CNC engraver is compatible with a lot of CNC router kits. Depending on the dealer where you get your machine from, you can also get a DeWalt 611. Also, some dealers offer the Makita CNC router to power the machine.
Furthermore, the Carbide 3D Shapeoko can handle materials like wood, plastics, and metals. This makes the CNC router one of the most versatile CNC routers available in the market.
Moreover, Carbide has its software to work with. Thus, you can use the Carbide Create and Carbide motion software to create amazing designs. This also adds to the versatility of the machine and the smoothness with which you operate.
The markable area from the machine is 406 x 406 mm. Thus, you can mark quite a formidable piece of product with this CNC router machine.
You can also benefit from the slightly larger versions of the CNC miller. The Carbide 3D Shapeoko XL and XXL offer a cutting area of 406 x 838 mm and 838 x 838 mm, respectively. To get the latest price of the machines, you can visit the Carbide 3D CNC Router website.
- High-quality engraving
- Large marking area
- Easy to use software option
- Compatible with many CNC router kits
- The CNC router has a limited software option
Another popular CNC engraving machine is HeatSign’s CNC engraving machine. With a working area of 1300 mm x 2500 mm, this machine is an absolute beast for industrial applications. Furthermore, many engineers love the machine because it gives a 200 mm depth (Z-axis) engraving option.
The CNC router also can work on multiple materials, including wood, wax/resin, foam, plastic, glass, stone, and metal. Consequently, it is a popular, versatile CNC router machine in the industrial market. Moreover, the machine has a maximum traveling speed of 30,000 mm/ minute. This ensures that your designs are ready in an extremely short time.
Also, the CNC router machine features the G code as the software and DSP Handheld Controller/ NC studio/ Syntec as the working system. These state-of-the-art tools make the CNC machine as easy as a breeze to operate.
- Can engrave on a variety of materials, including metals and acrylic
- It has a very large working area that makes it suitable for industrial applications
- The engraving speed is extremely high. This enables you to complete multiple complex designs in a very short period
- The CNC machine can be applicable in multiple areas of industry, including architecture, advertising, creating prototypes, plastics and composites marking, and marking on metallic bodies used in the manufacturing industry
- The after-sales support is excellent. You can get technical support on the issues 24/7 after the purchase has been completed
- You need to order well in advance because of the high demand for the machine
- Need proper expertise to operate the machine
When it comes to CNC laser cutting machines, HeatSign has the best to offer. HeatSign’s laser engraver is a state-of-the-art CNC machine that provides you with professional-grade marking schemes.
The CNC router comes in 2 variants, with HS-9060 having an engraving area of 900 mm x 600 mm and the HS-13090 having an engraving area of 1300 mm x 900 mm.
The CO2 laser CNC marking machine is ideal for engraving on non-metallic materials. The materials marked with the CNC laser marking machine are wood, bamboo, jade, acrylic, leather, garments, marble, paper, glass, rubber, and other non-metallic materials.
HS-9060 model has a laser power requirement ranging from 60, 80, and 100 Watts. The power of the laser depends upon the setting and the requirement of engraving.
Furthermore, the HS-13090 laser CNC router has a laser source range of 80W, 100W, and 130W depending upon the marking requirements. Moreover, the marking speed of this CNC machine is extremely high.
This enables you to produce multiple engravings in a very short period. Also, the laser CNC machine uses Lasercutist, a software known for the excellent user experience.
- High engraving speed (60000 mm/min)
- Low power consumption
- Supports multiple graphic formats like PLT, DST, AI, DFX, BMO, HPGL, etc
- High precision marking with CO2 laser engraving technology
- Works only on non-metallic materials
The air-assisted powerful CNC laser cutter is a powerful tool to have in your factory. The CNC laser cutting machine is compatible with programs like CorelDraw and AutoCAD.
Designed for soft materials like wood, plastics, etc., you can use the machine to engrave into almost all materials except hard metals. However, that is a trade-off for the machine’s engraving quality.
Furthermore, the CNC machine has a marking area of 1400 mm x 900 mm. This makes it one of the largest workspace CNC machines for the price range.
The CNC machine costs around $4900 on Amazon; however, the price can vary depending on the shipping and other custom charges that may apply to your shipment.
- Large engraving area
- Can engrave into a variety of materials (except metals)
- Better high precision and quality to the finished products
- Designs can be uploaded using a USB
- Heavy machine (almost 800 pounds)
- It cannot engrave into metals
- Expensive machine
BobsCNC E3 CNC Router Engraving kit is one of the most popular entry-level CNC engraving machines in the market in 2023. Its popularity is that it has a balanced option, covering all the aspects of a good CNC engraving kit.
The BobsCNC E3 CNC Router Engraving kit is ideal for beginner-level users as it has all the basic options that can be easily operated without issue. A few of the major advantages of this CNC router are that it is inexpensive, produces great markings, and promises customer satisfaction.
- Very easy to assemble the unit
- Its instruction manual to assemble the machine is extremely easy to follow
- The design is compact and well researched
- The CNC machine’s frame is very stable and provides a high quality of the finished product
- Also, the post-purchase support service is outstanding
- The Human-Machine interface of the CNC engraver is extremely easy to adapt to.
- Ideal for miniature marking schemes, especially wooden carvings, and plastic materials
- The operation is considerably noisy. This means you need to wear ear protesters near the CNC router to stay at peace
- Although the assembly of the CNC router is easy to accomplish, however, it does take time to assemble completely
- The CNC router shows precision when it comes to acrylic or harder materials
- Suitable for entry-level users and not for professional level engraving
Summing up, the engraving machine is an ideal router kit for entry-level users.
The Genmitsu 3018 Pro takes its name from the engraving size that it supports. i.e., the Genmitsu 3018 has an effective marking area of 300mm x 180mm. The Genmitsu CNC router is compatible with Windows XP, 7, 8, and 10. This makes it one of the most diverse and usable by every person who owns a computer.
Another important aspect of the Genmitsu CNC router kit is built on an open-source Arduino platform using GRBL. This means that reading the G code becomes extremely easy. Also, motion control is more precise and controllable by the user.
- The Genmitsu CNC router is easy to use and set-up
- Good for beginners
- Compatible with multiple versions of Windows
- The Genmitsu CNC router does not have very high quality
MYSWEETY 1610 CNC Machine is one of the best top 10 CNC routers in 2023. This is a popular entry-level CNC router available for merely $200 on Amazon. But the machine is extremely basic, and you shouldn’t be searching for all the fancy features of a professional CNC milling engraving machine.
The machine uses Windows-only software. Furthermore, it can engrave on wood, acrylic, PVC, and PCBs. The high-speed spindle motor and stepper motor make it a compact set for all the newbies out there.
- Cheaply available
- The CNC router can mark/engrave a variety of material
- Easy to use
- Very basic features
- Not good for professional engraving tasks
- The final engravings are not of very high quality
Choosing the best-suited CNC milling engraving machine for your business can become an issue if you do not have specific information on the topic. However, it would be best if you didn’t worry since we at HeatSign have a team of experts who are anxiously waiting for your queries. While CNC engraving machines deliver accuracy and precision, you can consider other marking systems such as laser marking machines, dot peening machines, and inkjet marking machines, which deliver perfect markings on suitable products. In case you want any technical guidance on the issue of engraving machines, contact us.