Plastic is a basic material on par with glass, wood, metals and paper in part and product manufacturing. It is a multi-billion-dollar business that continues to grow faster than most other industries worldwide. In matters of part inscribing, whether for identification, personalization, or traceability, many businesses invest in laser engraving on plastic products due to advantages such as speed and the permanency of markings. However, choosing the right laser engraving plastic machine can be a challenge. This article talks about the different plastic laser marking machine types you can consider.
Recommended Plastic Laser Engraving Machine For Metals
There are several plastic laser engraving machines you can use depending on the plastic polymer you are working with. Generally, the most common machines used are CO2 and UV laser markers due to their compatibility. Two common plastic laser markers you can consider include:
HS-UV03 UV Laser Marking Machine
The HS-UV03 plastic laser marking machine is suitable for plastic material that requires low heat. Aside from being a cold laser, it has a fiber laser marking frame of small size and compactness. Features of the machine include:
- Output laser beam power: 3W / 5W
- Marking Speed: up to 9000mm/s
- Marking Area: 100mm x 100mm （other options are available）
- Marking Depth: ≤0.2 mm
HS-CL30 CO2 Plastic Laser Engraving Machine
The HS-CL30 is a CO2 Laser Engraver suitable for deep engraving or big area marking on plastic such as ABS and polycarbonate. Features of the machine include:
- Output laser beam power: 30W
- Marking Speed: up to 7000mm/s
- Marking Area: 100mm x 100mm (other options are available)
- Marking Depth: ≤0.5 mm
Some of the UV Laser marking samples:
How Plastic Laser Engraving Machine Works
The laser engraving plastic machine emits a high-energy light beam which the plastic material absorbs. Afterward, energy conversion to heat occurs, which is responsible for the marking.
The imprints or markings left are accomplished by different techniques, including etching, foaming, color changing, engraving, or combining those methods. However, the method’s choice depends on the material’s peculiarities and the desired result.
Challenges for Plastic Laser Marking Machine Manufacturers
Laser engraving plastic demands both a scientific and creative approach. Different material types behave differently while progressing with laser marking plastic, and there are lots of them: polypropylene, polyethylene, polyamide, acrylic, nylon, silicone and many more. Moreover, manufacturers add various additives and fillers to improve the material’s qualities, resulting in an even bigger range of types. This means not any solution can ensure quality results on your product.
If you have decided to buy a laser etching machine for plastic, make sure the chosen one handles all material sorts, natural, colored, or transparent, with different additives, like HeatSign’s solutions, do. And before you buy the marking machine, it’s better to test the device against the sample of your material.
Choosing Laser over Inkjet for Plastic Marking
Before the rise in the use of laser engraving plastic machines, inkjet marking machines were the most preferred marking machine for plastics. As of today, inkjet has long lost the competition to the laser method (except for several very specific applications) due to some uncomfortable disadvantages:
- Needs post-production
- Requires consumables and disposal of wasted resources
- Easily wears off in time or upon exposure
Laser marking technology has several advantages due to the following:
- Easy and comfortable inscribing process
- It requires only the power supply
- It produces zero waste and emission
- The imprints are very precise and permanent
- The processed plastic part is ready to be used at once.
Why Buy Laser Engraving and Marking Solutions from HeatSign?
The benefits of our laser engraving plastic equipment used for engraving, etching, or any laser marking process, in general, are acknowledged by our many customers in the industry. Below are a few reasons why you should invest in a plastic laser engraving machine:
- Expertise:Experts at HeatSign understand material science, thus ensuring the best results
- Reliability:HeatSign is among the most respectable etching and engraving machine suppliers
- Client-oriented:HeatSign always aims to exceed customers’ expectations, maximizing the value of end-products
- User-friendly:Our machines are easy to use and offer speed, flexibility, and comfort for the operator
- Eco-friendly:Our equipment eliminates any potential threat to nature and human health
- The best quality:Our solutions guarantee unprecedented quality, speed, contrast, accuracy, and durability of the imprints
Plastic markings are applicable in several major manufacturers, such as automotive parts, pipe and fittings, packaging, construction, electronics, household appliances and consumer goods, to mention just a few. Some applications are classic examples of inscribing on this material, like etching on keyboards and buttons, sensors, and identification tags for animals or toys. Are you looking for a quality plastic laser engraving machine? Contact us.